Stress of exams

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stress of exams

Stress of exams

Stress of exams

Eve Katz

Stress of exams

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

Stress of exams

Exams are done for the first semester of the school year and students are experiencing mixed emotions about exams.

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors this year, had to transition from having their exams all at once, to just a few at a time, due to our block schedule. Many of them find it less stressful having to take a few and it gives them more time to plan.

“Having exams a few at a time allows me to focus on studying for only what’s relevant to me at the time and let’s me dedicate a larger portion of my time to each exam. It’s much less stressful to take a few at a time than all at once,” said Ben Vining, senior.

Freshmen have not had as much exam experience as the upperclassmen in exams so they can seem intimidating. Going through a move from middle to high school can be stressful enough without throwing exams into the mix.

Few freshman took exams in middle school, so the idea of exams is very new to most of them, including myself. Usually it was state assessment that did not have much effect, if any at all, on their overall grade for the class. It was more to see where the students stood at the end of the year in a subject. Exams are 20 percent of the final grade and they affect your GPA. Many freshmen are feeling overwhelmed as their first courses are coming to an end.

“I feel under prepared as Christmas break was in between school and exams. This caused me to forget some of what I learned . I only had two to three days before exams, so there wasn’t much time to review material in class. In middle school and on the old schedule you had two to three months to relearn and learn more material,” said Charlie Cochran, freshman.

Teachers have to grade assignments and prepare their students for the exams. Doing both at the same time is stressful for them and makes their jobs more difficult. If a student does poorly on an exam, it will reflect on the teacher and it may seem as if the teacher is not doing a good job teaching the students.

“We as teachers do stress a lot about exams. We want our students to do well and be successful on major assignments. It hurts us just as much as it does them when they don’t.” said Mrs. Meyer who teaches both English 1 and AP Language and composition.

This semester is coming to a close and the worst is over. Students are starting a new semester. Everyone can relax and start focusing on their new classes and learning new material.

About the Contributors
Jackson Hackett, Staff Writer

Jackson Hackett is 15 and is a freshman (don't bully him). He enjoys listening to music, (Rap and 80’s/90’s music) talking with friends, and sleeping....

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editors-in-chief of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...