Twist-offs for change

Back to Article
Back to Article

Twist-offs for change

Chariots of Love takes bottle caps to help their cause.

Olivia Plymel

Olivia Plymel

Olivia Plymel

Mr. Ferrell, a self-claimed “collector of random knowledge” and teacher of intolerance and the holocaust, psychology, and sociology at Summerville High School, was collecting twist off plastic caps to raise money to help buy wheelchairs for underprivileged children through the organization called “Caps of Love”.

Though he does not know anyone who will directly be affected by the raising of these caps, he was introduced to this charity through his sister who was collecting caps at her school in Kissimmee, Floridia.  

Originally, these caps were supposed going to go towards helping lower-income children get chemotherapy treatments, but that initiative turned out to be “a big internet hoax”.

“As it was originally explained to me, we were going to collect these caps and then the hospitals would give out a free chemo treatment to poor kids at rate of a thousand caps per one treatment. But as it turns out that was bogus,” Ferrell explained.

So, Mr. Ferrell scrambled to find a new charity so that the caps would not go to waste, and he found  “Caps of Love”. More specifically Chariots of Love, which is a branch of the project. Mr. Ferrell was very proud that he was able to take an internet scam and change it into a positive collection for a legitimate charity.

“Since then, we tracked down a ‘real’ charity that is called ‘Caps of Love’ , they have a website for their foundation. What they do is when they achieve a certain number of pounds of recyclable plastic, they take the money that they raise and either buy kids a new wheelchair or fix them for underprivileged children,” said Ferrell about how the new charity came to be the focal point of this fundraiser.

Caps did not have to be from beverage bottles, they could be anything, such as caps from detergent bottles, as long as they were plastic.

Mr. Ferrell said that he does not know how many plastic caps it will take to make up the poundage. However, every single “drop in the bucket” counts toward the final amount. So, even though he does not know if the plastic that Summerville students and teachers donated will be able to push another wheelchair into excessistance, every single plastic cap does make a difference.

As of September of this year, the charity has been able to give out 80 chairs and has repaired at least thirteen wheelchairs for kids without sufficient insurance. They believe that every child and young adult in America should be able to have safe and functioning mobility.

The collection of caps ended on December 20th. Mr. Ferrell met with the Chariots of Love, the branch of Caps of Love, over winter break.

“I will need another house to hold these caps at the rate we are collecting,” Ferrell joked about the sheer volume of donations he received.

Even though this donation to charity did not end up how it was originally intended, Summerville students still had the great opportunity to help out those in need.

About the Contributor
Olivia Plymel, Staff Writer

Listen up here chiefs, Olivia Plymel is a sophomore in the class of 2021 at Summerville High School. She likes books more than most people, she is in...