Staying safe on Halloween

“Trick or Treat”–we all know those iconic 3 words. Children of all ages love to go from house to house and collect bags of sweets to indulge on the next day, even to the point of getting sick. Even though this  tradition may be fun and joyous, everyone needs to be careful about where and what they do on Halloween night, so here’s some tips for a safe nighttime adventure.

1. All accessories, such as toy knives and swords, need to be short and made of a soft material such as foam. This keeps everyone who is passing from not getting accidentally hurt from the accessory and kids can still play with it afterwards.
  2. This one is just common sense, but make sure to stay in groups when Trick or Treating, especially if you have younger siblings. It keeps everyone at an arm’s reach if need be, and managing is easier.
  3. Wear reflective materials so that cars and other vehicles can see you when crossing a dark street or if you’re in their driveway when leaving for the next house. It’s a simple and smart way to keep people aware of you.
  4. Check all of your collected treats and make sure that they were not tampered with. Unfortunately, there have been cases of hidden razor blades, so check the packaging for strange tears or openings, dispose of it in a safe manner if necessary.
  5. Keep a light source nearby at all time. The most preferred is a flashlight, but a camping lantern, headlamps, etc. It help will help you not trip over branches or cracks in the sidewalk.
  6. Talking about sidewalks, use them whenever you can; it keeps you off the street away from cars, hay rides, etc.
  7. Only eat factory-wrapped treats and nothing homemade from a stranger’s house. Never believe that all treats are safe, especially those butterscotches from the creepy guy on North Avenue…
  8. Do not to stay out late. Since this year’s Halloween falls on a school night, staying out till 10 pm is not the smartest idea. Plan to stay out for about 2 to 3 hours at most.
  9. Do not stray to far from where you live, because getting lost on Halloween is not a great night. Go around your neighborhood a few days before the actual night and plan out your route, setup rendezvous places if anyone gets lost, and have a phone on you at all time.
  10. Lastly, just have fun- it’s Halloween, after all. Its a night to have some fun and relax with friends. Keep these tips in mind and enjoy a night of spooky festivities.

Those are 10 tips to keep you and your siblings safe on Halloween night. We all love the holiday, so let us keep this annual tradition going safely. Enjoy your Halloween night, and don’t forget to watch your back, who knows what is creeping in the dark of the woods…

About the Contributors
Morgyn Gosseck, Staff Writer

Morgyn Gosseck is a junior in his first year writing for the Wave Breaker. He wanted to do something out of the box, and doing the newspaper was a first...

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editor-in-chiefs of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...