Paying kindness forward

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paying kindness forward

Kristine Schaffer is a resident in Summerville, SC. She’s a volunteer program director who has been raising money for her childhood cancer foundation, “Kristine’s Joy for Kids.”   So far she’s raised four-thousand dollars since January for parents who have trouble paying for their children’s medical needs. Kristine’s show of immense kindness by creating this foundation inspires similar benevolence in those around her. It’s important for everyone to spread kindness as often as possible.

Spreading kindness is not hard, you don’t have to go out of your way to be nice to others. Acts of kindness, big or small, are all important for society. Even simple gestures make a big difference in people’s lives. It’s just important that people do as much as they can. Students at Summerville High School have many ideas about how to be kind.

“If you see someone upset, talk to them,” said senior Jalyn Edmund.

“Doing something nice once a day,” Senior Malory Sirois stated. These acts of kindness may not be as big as we think but they’re important.

Big or small acts, they all matter. It does good to step out and do more for the people around you every once in awhile. Senior Chandler Driggers said that a kindness he’s done that he’s proud of is that he’s “given food to the homeless.”

Brittney Baena, also a senior,  said that “helping my friend through depression” was an impactful act of kindness in her life. Whether your kindness is a physical action or just moral support spreading kindness can make a difference.

The best generous acts come when you’re not being asked or told, when you just do them because you feel like it. Of course it is still nice to assist people when they ask for it, but the thoughtfulness of doing it on your own means a lot as well.

So why is it so important?

“If your were in a bad position and needed help from others you’d want someone to be willing to help you out,” Jalyn Edmund stated her opinion.

“At the end of the day, there’s a lot of good and bad in the world so it’s important to try and outweigh the bad. [Spreading kindness] helps inspire others to be good as well,” said Chandler Driggers.

“My mom [inspires me to be kind], she’s always helping others even when it doesn’t benefit her,” Jalyn Edmund said.

Even if doing an act of kindness doesn’t benefit you, if it helps others that’s still a win. That’s possibly the biggest benefit of all, knowing that paying kindness even when it wasn’t due helped someone else.

About the Contributors
Jada Strong, Staff Writer

Jada Strong is a junior this year and has a passion for writing. She hopes to write reviews on entertainment this year, that is if she can push through...

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editors-in-chief of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...