Helping Home of Hope orphanage

Teenagers have a reputation among those in the later stages of life that they are aloof, self-absorbed, technology-obsessed and blind to the happenings of the world around them that don’t involve Snapchat or a Twitter clap-back by Chrissy Teigen.

This reputation can be frustrating for those who really do try to be involved, for caring about others and being aware of what’s going on in the world are very important parts of life. It’s certainly advantageous to be conscious of what goes on around you, and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved here at Summerville High School.

When many high schoolers think of getting involved, they only think about local opportunities, which of course are good, but sometimes teenagers forget to think globally. There are areas outside of the US that are in dire need of help, and there are ways for Summerville High School students to help them.

Krystal Colinco is a junior at Summerville High School, and she has a personal connection to an international area of need.

The Home of Hope orphanage in the Philippines is owned by Colinco’s grandmother, and Krystal is encouraging students to make donations to help the orphans who live there.

“My cousins and other family have visited and the living conditions are really not ideal,” Colinco stated on why the orphanage needs donations, “Since [the orphanage] is my grandmother’s, that connects me to it. I feel like I should help this orphanage because without it, these children would not have any place to live.”

Krystal also added that she recently discovered that one of her uncles was an orphan, adding on to the feeling of personal connection to the orphanage’s cause. Even without connections as close to one’s self as Krystal has to Home of Hope, students still have a reason to make donations, of course, for helping others is a very important part of life.

The orphanage has been open since around the 1980’s and currently holds about 50 kids between the ages of 2 and 16.

Colinco is encouraging her fellow students to make donations of old clothes, shoes, new toiletries, school supplies, and backpacks to the orphanage by bringing them to Mrs. Adkinson”s room.

“If we’re not going through these terrible situations ourselves, we should at least do what we can to help them,” Colinco elaborated on why students should make donations.

Being conscious of global issues and making an effort to help those who are going through difficult situations are all beneficial actions both for one’s character and for society as a whole.

If any Summerville students have anything they would like to donate to help the orphans at Home of Hope, make sure to drop by Mrs. Adkinson’s room.