How history will affect your future

Back to Article
Back to Article

How history will affect your future

Mr. Lewis currently teaches AP European History and AP United States History.

Jesus Alarcon

Jesus Alarcon

Jesus Alarcon

Many people view history as a useless class that they were forced to take while in high school; however, for Summerville High School AP US History teacher Jimmie Lewis history is his passion.

Mr. Lewis takes great passion in teaching both European and United States history to students at SHS. He feels that students can learn about the future from past events.

“I can not imagine doing anything differently. This is it,” said Mr. Lewis.

Often students will say that history doesn’t matter because what’s passed has passed, it’s all old news. Lewis tells a different story.

“History has its habit of repeating itself over and over again… the concept of man’s inhumanity to man is often times ever repeating as is still ongoing. To learn from the past is to help make the world a better place today and in the future” Mr. Lewis explained.

While teaching AP History courses, Mr. Lewis incorporates other classes and skills such as writing and Economics or Government. By doing this, he is able to better prepare his students for the classes that they will take as seniors and beyond. Mr. Lewis focuses on working with students on writing strong thesis for their essays.

“In history courses, we use primary sources. We see the various literary figures and what they have written about at the time is their reaction to the conditions they were confronted with at the time. Mathematics the idea of economics and being able to read and understand charts and graphs and make connections to what the numbers represent” said Mr. Lewis.

The different history classes taught in schools should help adults maneuver through life knowing how people have different opinions while respecting all arguments. This is an important quality to create comradery in a world that is built through the different views in history.

“An education should be about understanding various views about anything” said Mr. Lewis. “History matters from the point of view that if you know your history then hopefully people will do a better job at dealing with those views, because what we find out historically is that none of this is new. The only thing that has changed is the technology, the basic human condition has not changed.”

Another reason many people do not feel like history is a useful subject is because they do not know of any careers that history can lead to. However there are many professions besides teaching that includes history.

“If you’re interested in international relations you can take that and you can be an expert in some country and work for the US state department… that’s George Kennan and the containment policy… he was the expert on Russia,” said Mr. Lewis, giving just one example of a career stemming from a love for history.

History has a much greater impact on society than people may think. It plays a huge role on the economy and policy making, not only in the past but in the present and future as well. History is the one class that connects to everyday life no matter what profession you chose after graduating from high school.

About the Contributors
Wyatt Olson, Staff Writer

Wyatt Olson is a junior at SHS and this is his first year as a staff member for the Wave Breaker. He plays both varsity football and soccer for the Green...

Jesus Alarcon, Staff Writer

Jesus is 16 years old and is commonly referred to as Jesus by his peers. He enjoys sports, especially soccer. Jesus’ teammates refuse to call him Summerville's...