How to reduce your morning routine

SHS student sleeps in class due to bad sleep management.

Matea Jacobs

Matea Jacobs

Every morning when I wake up I have a horrible time trying to wake myself up, tumble out of bed and pull myself together. Most people have trouble getting out of beds, seeing as beds are the safest most comfortable places on earth, so anything productive most likely isn’t getting done.

Precious minutes spent staying in bed can determine whether or not you make it to school on time; however, if you cut some things out of your routine and use every minute to your advantage you may be able to spend some more time in bed or drinking your morning coffee.

The extra ten minutes you spend in bed deciding whether or not you should just go back to sleep are wasted. Waking up faster can improve how fast you get ready. If grogginess kicks in use water or cold spoons to shock your system and get a small but of energy back in your body instead of wandering around half asleep. The kickstart of energy will help you go through your routine more efficiently and faster

“I find that if I wake up and instead of getting out of bed I lounge for a few minutes my morning becomes more stressed and rushed, it’s just plain unpleasant” stated Willow Davis, junior.

Sometimes taking a shower in the morning is necessary, but when it’s a viable option you could save time by taking a warm shower at night. It helps you fall asleep faster and it also saves you a lot of time in the morning. If your hair is oily in the morning using some dry shampoo to hide the shine can help.

Premade breakfasts and to-go breakfasts can cut down the amount of time that you have to spend awake. Instead of having cereal or pancakes you could make a fruit salad the night before or just eat a premade granola bar or pop tart. If you really like cereal and can’t bare to part with it the night before you could set your cutlery and the cereal you want on the table to speed things up.

Your mom probably always told you to pick your clothes out for school the night before, and she was right. Most teenagers obsessed with looks spend 10-20 minutes finding something that they like to wear to school in the morning. If you choose your outfit the night before you’ll be able to spend more time happily in bed the next morning.

Putting your homework back in your backpack the night before, or whenever it’s done, can prevent you from leaving it at home and save you time searching for it if you misplaced it. If you make sure all your school stuff is together the night before you’ll have peace in mind the next morning knowing you have everything you need.

“Losing your project the day it is due can make or break some people’s grades, it’s way too important to just worry about it in the morning” explained Esee Strickland, sophomore.

The time you spend getting ready in a sleepy haze can be reduced drastically if you make a few small changes to your routine the night before. Take the initiative and give yourself the energy and confidence for the day ahead of you, after all, you never know what you are going to face at Summerville High school.