Patrick Baird

The global impact of Modern Day Esthers

“We are children of God… for such a time as this” Esther 4:14. This is the message that Destiny Zavala, SHS junior, and Livie Laskow, a junior at Wando, are hoping to spread through their small business, Modern Day Esthers.

Destiny’s passion for serving the people of Togo was first ignited three years ago when her mom took her first trip to the African nation. Her mom continued to support the people of Togo through her work with Francis + Benedict.

Francis + Benedict exists to empower and equip skilled Togolese seamstresses by providing them with dignified and sustainable employment. Profits are used to resource community leaders in Togo, enabling them to continue projects that benefit orphans, widows, and those suffering in poverty.

All of Modern Day Esthers’ products are made from African wax print, purchased directly from Togo, West Africa. The fabric is purchased from Togo and delivered to Zavala, who handmakes the headbands herself. The juniors started their company in early December, selling the brightly patterned headbands on their instagram @moderndayesthers to raise money for their mission trips to Togo while spreading the word of God.

For such a time as this Esther 4:14 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #watercolorart

A post shared by Modern Day Esthers (@moderndayesthers) on

Modern Day Esthers’ name is derived from the Bible story of Queen Esther. According to the book of Esther, the king of Persia chooses Esther to be his wife for her beauty and kindness, not knowing that she was a Jew. Esther proves her bravery by protecting the king from assassination and protecting the Jewish people multiple times during her time as queen.

“Our ultimate goal is to empower young women through God’s word. We want to encourage young students to take their mark in their schools and in their communities. To encourage teenagers to be bold in who they are and also who God says we are” Zavala explained.

Makeup bags coming soon!! 11 more days 🙌🏼 #moderndayesthers

Much like the Persian queen of the bible, Modern Day Esthers aim to stand up for their faith and help God’s people by serving in Togo.

The colorful, homemade headbands are being sold for $15 can be found @moderndayesthers. The company also sells makeup bags and watercolor scripture paintings.

Modern Day Esters is hoping to launch a line of scrunchies and tote bags in the African wax prints sometime in the near future.

The website launches on Feb. 10, and orders can be made from the site.

The Wave Breaker • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in