The rise, fall, and disgrace of Kevin Spacey

Kevin Spacey at the Royal Halbert Hall.

Kevin Spacey at the Royal Halbert Hall.

Licensed for Individual Reuse

Licensed for Individual Reuse

Kevin Spacey at the Royal Halbert Hall.

Kevin Spacey wasn’t born from an acting family. His mother was a secretary and his dad a data consultant.

He would grow up in a house of violence, as his brother previously stated that his dad was a “racist,” Nazi supporter.

Nobody, not even Spacey’s own family, would have thought he would have the career he did. His dad was sexually and physically abusive to his family, which caused Spacey to become a quiet, sly person to avoid getting in trouble.

Spacey graduated as co-valedictorian in his class of 1977. He was interested in acting at his high school, getting roles for local plays. After high school, he attended Northridge Military Academy.

Before becoming an actor, he tried being a comedian for several years before attending Juilliard School in New York. He moved on to acting in 1981, landing his first professional stage appearance as an extra in a New York Shakespeare Festival performance of Henry VI, Part 1 in 1981. He then went on to make his first Broadway appearance the following year. He began having bigger parts in the following years.

In 1996, he won his first Academy Award in the movie The Usual Suspects. He would go on to receive 55 awards and 81 nominations total in his career.

Spacey’s fame continued into the 2010s, when he was tapped to play Frank Underwood, a senator from South Carolina who worked to become president, in the first Netflix original series House of Cards.

The show was a massive success, spanning its series from 2013 to 2018 and being nominated for several awards, including a few which Spacey won.

In October 2017, his career came to a grinding halt. Actor Anthony Rapp alleged that Spacey, who was drunk at the time, made unwanted sexual advances on him when Rapp was just 14. Spacey responded by saying that he didn’t remember the incident, and apologized. In the same post, he came out as gay, sparking rage in the LGBT community.

“Coming out after being accused of assaulting a 14-year-old is an insult to the entire gay and lesbian community,” Randy Fowler, brother of Kevin Spacey, told The Sun.

Soon after Rapp’s allegation, 15 others came forward, claiming similar incidents happened.

Those included in the allegations were a son of a journalist (who was 18 at the time), Norwegian author Ari Behn, filmmaker Tony Montana, and eight people who worked on the set of House of Cards.

At The Old Vic, a “number of people” came forward with allegations against Spacey, where he was the artistic director for 11 years. Allegations mainly included groping, harassing, and behaving in an inappropriate way towards young men.

As more allegations came forward, filming for House of Cards was suspended. The show was scheduled to end in 2018 with 13 episodes, but was shortened to 8 when Spacey was removed from the cast.

He also was scheduled to star in the movie Gore, but the movie was scrapped by Netflix.

Netflix completely cut ties with him soon after. Spacey was also supposed to star in All the Money in the World, but was removed from the movie and quickly replaced with Christopher Plummer, and despite having a tight schedule, they released the movie Dec. 25, 2017.

On Nov. 1, Spacey stated that he was seeking “evaluation and treatment” for his behavior. His publicist, Staci Wolfe, and his talent agency CAA ended their relationship with him. He has not released any statement since.

On Jan. 15, 2018, Spacey was accused of being racist on the set of House of Cards. During the first season of presidential drama, Spacey allegedly used the N-word when he didn’t want black security personnel watching the show trailer, reported NY Daily News.

Spacey hasn’t been scheduled to star in any series or movies since the allegations, marking a sudden stop to his successful career.

About the Writer
Ryan Okpych, Photo Editor, Social Media Director

This is Ryan’s second year in the Wave Breaker staff. He really likes photography and music (St. Vincent, in particular). Ryan like to pay attention to local politics, because a lot of the time, it’s pretty funny. In his free time, Ryan enjoys watching random shows on Netflix, probably not liking said shows, then watching The Golden Girls, because, c’mon, you can’t go wrong with The Golden Girls. Gracie is a tyrant.