Third Thursday: from a business perspective

Every month, local businesses go to historic downtown Summerville for the Third Thursday event with its unique small town charm and locally sourced goods.

Behind the perfectly stocked shelves and open doors into shops, it almost seems like organized chaos. Many small businesses attend the event, lining up and down the street.

Kathy Lindell, a new business owner, opened her candy shop, Simple Treasures, just hours before Third Thursday began.

“This is my first day, so my favorite part right now is watching all the people and their responses to [the store],” Lindell said, standing behind the counter of fudge in her newly decorated store.

She wanted to open something that Summerville didn’t have, so she chose a candy store.

“What I like about Third Thursday, this one being my first one when we’re open, is that we also have the Sweet Tea Festival, so there’s a lot of extra activity going on as well” Lindell shared.

However, running a small business isn’t always a cakewalk.

“[It’s hard] getting a business license, making everything come together and having things done on time,” said Ms. Lindell, laughing.

Despite the difficulties, Ms. Lindell loved opening a store and loves the location of it in Summerville.

“I think it’s a fabulous location, there’s so much growth going on,” Ms. Lindell explained.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, one of the oldest stores in South Carolina participated in the event.

Guerin’s Pharmacy opened in 1871 and has operated as an independant pharmacy since then, making it the oldest pharmacy in South Carolina at 146 years old.

Just last week, the store was deemed to be so historic it received a plaque in front of it describing its history.

“It’s all the people that make the event so great,” Guerin’s Pharmacy employee Lucas Stoffer shared of Third Thursday.

Many businesses, both old and new, continue to pop up every month, adding new excitement and keeping the Third Thursday tradition alive.

About the Contributors
Ryan Okpych, Photo Editor, Social Media Director

This is Ryan’s second year in the Wave Breaker staff. He really likes photography and music (St. Vincent, in particular). Ryan like to pay attention to local politics, because a lot of the time, it’s pretty funny. In his free time, Ryan enjoys watching random shows on Netflix, probably not liking said shows, then watching The Golden Girls, because, c’mon, you can’t go wrong with The Golden Girls. Gracie is a tyrant.

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editor-in-chiefs of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and she can quote the episodes by memory because she thinks they’re so cool cool cool cool cool cool, no doubt. Eve loves Terry, he is her favorite character. Eve is also a Hufflepuff, her favorite color is pink, her favorite superheroes are Spider-Man and Captain America and her favorite movie is Lilo and Stitch. She wants to work for Disney one day. She hopes to spend the year having fun with the rest of the staff, improving her writing skill, and helping everyone be the best they can be.

Zoey Fuller, Staff Writer

Zoey doesn’t know what’s happening most of the time. This is her first year in Newspaper. On the off occasion she does know what’s going on she enjoys writing and taking pictures. Caity Lotz could punch Zoey in the face, and she’d say thank you. She will come running if she hears the introduction song to Wynonna Earp, Doctor Who, Power Rangers, or Orphan Black. She has really, really soft hair. Seriously. Touch it. She dares you (no she doesn’t). She is the Deadpool to Eve’s Spider-Man. Her best friend is her (demonic) cat, Luna. She has a dog named Bane Wayne and an intense love for rainbows. Find Zoey, she’ll be your friend, or she’ll karate chop you in the neck. Either way, it’ll be nice. Or not so nice…

1 Comment

One Response to “Third Thursday: from a business perspective”

1. Barbara dunning on October 23rd, 2017 3:22 pm

Great article! Come back on third Thursday and interview more business owners.

• Third Thursday: from a business perspective

Feature

Paying kindness forward

Feature

Cuppa Manna: community coffee and bubble tea shop

Feature

Gus Moody Tournament of Bands

Feature

Helping Home of Hope orphanage

Feature

How history will affect your future

Community

5 Ways to Earn Your Volunteer Hours

Feature

A girl named Ylime

Feature

Right brain, left brain? Fact or fiction?

Feature

Tennis without all the racket

Feature

Soundwave highlights Summerville’s student artists