A guide to a summer of college preparation

May 12, 2017 marks the final day of highschool for a number of seniors attending Summerville High School, which means summer is just around the corner.

Which also means seniors have one final summer before entering the the world responsibilities and experiences of so called “adulthood”. Therefore, it is imperative to make the most of this summer by utilizing this time to prepare for college.

While summer, especially the summer after senior year, should not be all work and no play, it is important prioritize what needs to be done to ensure success in and make a comfortable transition to college.

First things first, it is important to always pay attention to any college events that are scheduled to occur during the summer, especially if they require mandatory attendance such as most Freshmen Orientations. Be sure to allot time for such events in your busy summer schedule; you definitely do not want to miss these.

It is no secret that college can be financially draining. It may be a wise decision, during this summer of college preparation, to start allocating some money towards savings. This will allow for one less worry in the first few months of college knowing you are financially prepared. Plus, extra money leaves room for extra fun.

“Making the most of my summer before starting college consisted of working full time to save up money so that I could enjoy myself while in school. It was nice knowing that if I needed something I could go out and get it without needing to ask someone for compensation” explained Noah Ruimveld, Clemson University freshman.

If you are going away to college some important things to do this summer would be to make amends with enemies and tie up any loose ends. It is imperative to enter the college atmosphere focused and with a fresh conscious. There is no room for distractions and regrets from the past; embrace the college experience with an open, regret free mind.

“The most important thing about the summer before going to college is to tie up loose ends and attempt to make amends wherever it may be needed. It is important to take care of things before you go so that when you are are at college, you won’t find yourself thinking about past things instead of studying or doing homework” said Ruimveld.

For college freshmen who will be calling their campus home as well, you do not want to forget all the dorm necessities. Take this summer and collect all the needed items for your dorm. It is also a good idea to spend some time with roommates and get to know them, especially if you are not already friends. Comfort is key when it comes to a living space, so most definitely take the summer to prepare.

“Orientation is a good time to meet up with your roommate and get to know them better. It makes the college transition a million times better” said Ruimveld

Lastly, do not forget to prepare mentally as well. If going to college also means living on campus, that is a large step; you are leaving your bubble of comfort and familiarity of friends, family, and surroundings. It is completely normal to feel nervous, but taking the summer to prepare will minimize the stress as college gets closer.

“The most challenging thing about summer for before going to college for me was trying not to stress too much. Going away from what you’ve known for the past 18 years isn’t easy and it is definitely stressful, but it is important to understand that the transition happens quickly and before you realize it, you will be calling your new campus home” explained Ruimveld.

The summer after senior year can be fun, but it is essential to prepare for college in the fall. Follow these few simple recommendations and your summer will be smooth sailing and you will be more than prepared.

“The best thing about the summer before college is the building anticipation of doing something new. Starting a new chapter is exciting and as long as you keep that in mind, your summer before college can’t go wrong” said Ruimveld.