We may not have a winning season, but…

Coach McKissick shocked the town of Summerville – and even the nation – when he decided to step down from the head coaching position for Summerville High School’s football team this summer. This season hasn’t ended up like most would want or expect; however, we have so much to brag about here at Summerville High School.

We may not have a winning season, but this year we do have an increase in school spirit that hasn’t really been there in the past. We have our Leadership Class to thank for a lot of that – this year they have been our outlet for school activities and spirit. With their help and ideas, SHS has done amazing things we’ve never done before. At the start of October Leadership covered the lights of the main hallway in pink in support of breast cancer awareness, so as we were making our way to class we were reminded of what October was all about.

We may not have a winning season, but we’ve had an increase in student participation. This year we had a Homecoming Week that was different from any other. Leadership lined different events and games up with the theme of the day, encouraging students to get involved. On Monday, Mathletes and Athletes battled it out in Family Feud, on Tuesday, we had a Food Truck Rodeo and mechanical bull contest to go with our Cowboy Rodeo theme, and on Friday, we had Class Warfare Games that pinned all four levels against each other to show who had the best spirit to go along with our traditional Green and Gold Spirit Day. It was certainly a Homecoming Week to remember.

We may not have a winning season, but there is nowhere else we’d rather be than in the student section on a Friday night. Student Council made themes for each game for students to follow and be a part of as we cheer on our boys from the stands. The music in the student section also helps fans get in the spirit, adding to the Friday night excitement. With all the different music and chants, the atmosphere becomes one of unity, giving SHS students a sense of family that can’t be found in any other school’s student section.

We may not have a winning season, but our school has so many other things to brag about. Our band came in second this year by a sixth of a point, and last year they won first place and were State Champions. The band’s amazing technique and display is what makes them one of the best in state, and we couldn’t be prouder of them. Our cheerleading squad is moving up in the ranks from where they were in the past years. They are surpassing expectations by working to make themselves the best cheerleaders in lowcountry. SHS’s cheerleaders are proof of how much hard work pays off. Our own Sommer McKenize ran the fastest time in Cross Country in the region, and we have six SHS baseball players who have already committed to play baseball in college once they graduate.

We may not have a winning season, but that does not take away from the abundance of achievements we have to display here at Summerville High School, and the pride continues. With a new coach comes a new change in culture. No, our football season may not have more wins than losses, but there’s nowhere else we’d rather be than Summerville High School — As One.