A look into concussions

Coach Little demonstrates a preliminary concussion test on Michael Wing, senior.

Holland McClary

Holland McClary

Playing sports at any level can come with a high risk. The major risk most athletes worry about now now of days is getting a concussion. Concussions have no cure and can not only affect you for a few weeks. However, depending on the severity of the blow, it can leave symptoms forever.

More than 250,000 concussions since 2009 have come from athletes ages 19 and younger. The topic of concussions has drawn a lot of attention the past few years and just last year the movie Concussion, which is based on a true story, was released dealing with this severe injury.

In the movie Concussion, Dr. Omalu played by Will Smith discovers a new disease called chronic traumatic encephalopathy. He discovered it after looking at the autopsy of Mark Webster, a well-known football player who passed away unexplainably at the age of 50. Mark was a quarterback who took hits day after day to the head. He was first of many more to die because of CTE.

Dr. Omalu fought a court case against the NFL to change the rules and get better helmets to protect the athletes from any risk of concussions. In doing this with the NFL, the rules of football were changed at all levels. Since there is no actual way of knowing if you have CTE until the autopsy Dr. Omalu knew the NFL needed to change their ways.

This movie has opened the eyes of athletes, parents, and medical doctors.

“I found it very hard to concentrate and do regular everyday things without some sort of difficulty. It was also a pain constantly trying to remember things and not usually remembering them,” said former offensive lineman Robert Strueber, senior, who was forced to quit because of his concussion.

“Concussions don’t have a set time that they last. There have been some athletes recover in three weeks and others are still suffering months later,” said Coach Little, athletic trainer.

Although concussions don’t only impact students athletically, concussions “can make an impact in the classroom really taking the child’s ability to learn away,” said Little.

Not only athletes are bringing awareness to concussions, but also movie stars and celebrities are as well.

Concussions are a serious issue that led professional athletes to retire earlier than most athletes.

The hope is that all of the advanced technology around today will help lower the chances of being misdiagnosed with a concussion and also supply a cure for the damages caused by a blow to the head.