Makala Becker takes on the SHS stage

High school theatre is an odd place. Harmonious, yet hectic. Independent, yet collaborative. At the head of all this magnificent messiness, generally speaking, is a theatre teacher or director.

Though, lately, Summerville High Theatre has become increasingly student led. Some of you may remember the fall play Tragedy and Tea Leaves, an original show that was spearheaded by junior Katie Batten.

Now, Makala Becker, senior, will be directing the spring play. For her, this opportunity means the world.

“It really means a lot to me that Mr. Smith would sort of step away from his duties as a theatre teacher and a director” shared Becker.

Theatre has been a part of Becker’s life for a while now. From her start in an acting class that she hated to frequently stage managing shows at the Flowertown Players, theatre has affected Becker in many ways.

“Whenever I was a freshman I had no idea what I wanted to do. I didn’t have any sense of direction. When I got involved with Plaid Tidings, there was just something, and it hit me in the middle of running a show” Becker explained.

Plaid Tidings is the show Becker credits to jump-starting her devotion to theatre.

“[There] was just this really big feeling of accomplishment and love. I fell in love with the theatre and everything involved with it. That was when I was just barely skimming the surface of what theatre is, and as I kept working on more and more shows and seeing what’s involved to make a good production” Becker continued.

As far as directing goes, this is Becker’s first full length production. Don’t take that to mean she’s inexperienced, though. Becker has collected quite the reputation at Flowertown. Some of her favorites include, Stop Kiss and You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown, which she stage managed for, and Plaid Tidings, which she ran sound for. She’s also directed two one-act plays and competition pieces, one of which won third place last spring.

Even though she thinks that she has been “outwardly blowing [directing the play] off to people,” it is very obvious that Becker is passionate about theatre.

“In my brain it’s all I can think about, even though I just decided yesterday what play I was doing” Becker admitted.

She speaks of theatre with such a fondness and appreciation that it’s hard not to think of it in the same way.

“It’s so powerful and there’s such a wide variety of shows and so much that you can do. It’s such a universal thing, there’s theatre everywhere. It has such a history and it means so much to me. It’s helped me figure out what I want to do” said Becker.

As for her future, Becker says that she is “going to be that English teacher that minors in theatre.”

Until then, this spring, Becker will be directing her breakout show, Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello.