Six seniors have signed letters of intent to play baseball all across the state.

Holland McClary

Holland McClary

Baseball hits home

December 1, 2015

“I’ve been playing baseball since I was four years old,” says senior Sawyer Bridges who recently signed to the University of South Carolina.

To him, playing for USC has always been a dream. “I chose the school because of the coaches and the tradition,” says Bridges.

I want people to know that I made it, that I changed Summerville baseball”

— Bahen

But getting to college level athletics is not easy, and just as Sawyer inspires others, there’s a certain someone who inspires him. “My greatest inspiration is a cancer survivor named Gavin Hill that I met this summer. Gavin had cancer spread throughout his whole body and went through multiple treatments. He is now cancer free and is playing for the same baseball organization I play in” Bridges shares.

Bridges and Wilson Beattie will remain teammates during the next four years at the University of South Carolina.

“Pitching is my favorite aspect of baseball, I love the idea of being in total control of the game” states Beattie.

sawyer

Wilson chose USC to accommodate his need of athletics and academics. “It’s a research university, and I want to be an engineer. It has the best blend of academics and athletics for me” Wilson explains.

Catcher Jack Bahen, like Bridges believes that baseball has influenced his life in more ways than one.

“When I put on varsity cleats for the first time, I knew that I wanted to play baseball forever” says Presbyterian College signee, Jack Bahen.

Presbyterian was always a first choice for Bahen. “It was a perfect fit for me, the small class size, I like the one on one learning” he says.

However, before he can perform on the collegiate level, he must prepare for his last season of high school baseball and put in work on the field.

“I want people to know that I made it, that I changed Summerville baseball” says Bahen.

Florence-Darlington signee Brock Tobin looks forward to spending another four years playing the sport he loves.

The aspect of competing and playing for something bigger than myself is my favorite aspect of the game”

— Gobin

“I’ve loved baseball since I was younger, but never thought I’d get the opportunity to play in college,” Tobin shares.

“My main goal is to play for The Citadel, but in order to go there first I have to attend Florence. After my two years is up, hopefully I’ll be in a position to transfer” he adds.

Tobin plans on leaving a legacy for his younger teammates. “I plan to leave Summerville knowing that I gave my best at all times” finishes Tobin.

Like his teammates, Rusty Grayson wants to leave a legacy that can change the face of Summerville Baseball. “I want to be remembered as the kid who was helpful to his teammates” says Grayson, who signed to USC Lancaster.

brock

Since the age of two, Grayson has devoted his time to the game, and with time comes memories. “Playing in the quarter-finals at the Perfect Game Underclassmen in Atlanta, Georgia is probably my favorite memory” Grayson mentioned as he thought back through the years.

These players have inspired others, but they still look to their loved ones to keep them focused and successful. “My biggest inspiration has been my great grandma who taught me to fight through the hard times and see the best in everything” says Citadel signee Bo Gobin.

Introduced to baseball at the age of three, Gobin has been in love with the game ever since. “The aspect of competing and playing for something bigger than myself is my favorite aspect of the game” Gobin comments.

Before these young men can move on to bigger and better things, they must first carry out their legacy at Summerville.
Whether they are working together to win games at SHS or playing against each other at the collegiate level, it’s clear that these six young men have drawn inspiration from others to inspire their younger teammates and classmates for years to come.

The Wave Breaker • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in