The opposite oddballs of Summerville: a business review

Every little town has its fair share of offbeat businesses. Every place has a touch of strange, or at least unconventional. Summerville is no exception. Just by driving around the greater suburban area, I’ve passed a hippie organic gardening store, a local operation that sells either chopped up deer bits or deer corn (or maybe it was hog bits, the sign seems to change every time I see it), and about 3 tarot card/fortune teller houses. But while all seem intriguing, I’ve chosen to review two of these oddball locations: the Music in Motion Roller Rink, and the Time Well Spent Teahouse. And in my visits, I noticed that not only are these businesses unusual, but they stand as polar opposites to each other. Opposites in the aspects of your persona they draw out. Upon visitation, you’ll find two different versions of yourself.

So divulge into the explanation below.

Music in Motion (Discount Chuck-E-Cheese): Roller Rink

And in an instant, I was 12 again. Old school roller skating had a tendency to bring back memories of scabbed knees, spongebob band aids, matching hot pink helmet and elbow pad duos, and rough and tumble fun; the essence of childhood. Music in Motion was a warm flashback to middle school.

But only after the intense security check procedure on the same level as an international airport at the front lobby, which half convinced me that I was a possible hijacker suspect. They asked for my lip balm. No further comment.

Once past the bouncers with metal detectors, the back entrance doors opened to reveal a low cave of neon, aged pop hits, various arcade relics, a hardwood disco rink, a heavy air of shoe disinfectant, and lots and lots of screaming, unsupervised children. At least six vocal maniacs had their faces covered in birthday cake each and every time I went. I was somewhat jealous.

The gem of Music in Motion, is the back left enclave of shadowed pool tables, in which an ever-present gang of probably some of the most undisputedly rad middle schoolers I’ve ever met congregate to sharpen their pool game and toss in a few cheap bets for good measure. One kid with a backwards cap and a green dragon t-shirt generously allowed me to borrow his (ballpark) $1000 pool cue with yet more dragons on it for a quick round. I failed miserably.

But the blaring, smelly sense of nostalgia somehow made up for that. More than anything, Music in Motion was a window into the yesteryear.

Time Well Spent (The Club of Fancy Grandmas): Teahouse

The teahouse is a dying breed. I remember when I lived in Salt Lake City, there was an adorable little beehive-themed teahouse with an eclectic interior, vanilla bean tea, and a mountain of ancient novels, that went out of business not long after I discovered it.

Thankfully, Time Well Spent lives on.

It was quaint, it was quiet, and it was impressively well hidden. Honestly, I thought it was somebody’s house.

The theme was obviously flowers. Flowers on the wall. Flowers on the table. Flowers on the chairs. Flowers on the plates. Flowers on the teapots. I picked up on a very strong grandma vibe. Perhaps this was why I felt strangely compelled to both utilize my less than expansive knowledge on etiquette and let a sense of comfort and ease settle into my backbone as I pecked away at a piece of blueberry pie.

So then maybe the theme wasn’t flowers. Maybe it was relaxation with a touch of maturity, and whatever innocent pleasures were related to it. A Time Well Spent guest can’t help but note the easy regality associated with tea drinking, especially in such a place as this.

If ever one would desire to feel both royal and at home, matured and at simple ease, a long hunt for Time Well Spent would be in order.

So divulge into the explanation below.

Thankfully, Time Well Spent lives on.