Return to the Isle of the Lost

In the book Return to the Isle of the Lost Mal has broken the habit of being mean and ruthless since leaving her villainous roots behind. When she and her friends Evie, Carlos, and Jay all receive threatening messages demanding they return to their not very appreciated home, Mal can’t believe it.

Sure, she’s King Ben’s girlfriend now, and she’s usually nice to her classmates, but she still didn’t think anyone would be silly enough to try and push her around.

The thing is the messages kind of worked, especially since she and her friends have a sneaking suspicion that their villainous parents are behind the messages. Every time Evie looks into her magic mirror, what she sees only confirms their fears.

Maleficent, Mal’s mother, is just a tiny lizard after her run-in with Mal at Ben’s coronation, but she’s the worst villain in the land for a reason.

The question that keeps everyone reading this book until the very end is “could she have found a way to escape?”

This book takes place after both the Descendants movie and the short series Disney Descendants: Wicked World. Characters such as Jordan, Freddie, and Allie make short appearances as well as characters like Doug, Chad, and Audrey.

In addition to that, all new characters, mostly villains’ kids, show up when the four ex-villain kids return to the Isle of the Lost.

One of my fears was that this book would introduce a bunch of new villains and the original four would be pushed aside. Thankfully, that didn’t happen; there was a good mix of old and new characters.

My favorite part of this book was the ending and not because I was excited for this book to be over believe it or not.

In the story there is a purple dragon that is going around attacking parts of Auradon and Ben and Mal, as well as pretty much all of Auradon, are worried that it’s Maleficent. Regardless, when the identity of the dragon is revealed at the end of the book, it’s a real treat.

Overall, it was a really quick read that only took me a few hours. I enjoyed the characters and how the story focused on the four ex-villains and the growing trust and friendships between them.

After finishing the book I thought it was funny that the story seemed to be going in the complete opposite direction of the first book, then the story sort of 180’ed and went in the same direction as the first book.

I give no points for originality, but still found the book fun and worth reading. I can’t say for sure, but I think the main purpose of this book was to set the groundwork for future installments of the franchise. I can’t wait to see what lies in the future for these characters! Definitely a summer must read for middle schoolers.