The Donoghue Dynasty: where is Wave TV now?

With a new classroom comes a new studio for the Wave TV program.

Anabelle Baxter

Anabelle Baxter

I don’t have a job. I’ve only given a nickel’s worth of effort looking for one. I rely on the occasional babysitting gig and the hefty influx of “I don’t know how to buy a teenager approved gift but everybody likes money” birthday cash to finance my spontaneous expenses on Amazon. Naturally, I’m extremely unqualified to give a first-hand account of the workplace mood when in the midst of a leadership change.

BUT one time in eighth grade my science teacher had to leave for 3 months for a reason I forgot, and a temporary replacement operated in her absence, so I can at least relate to a shift in management.

And so can any existing members from last year’s Wave TV crew, as Mr. Chambers, the man who built our award-winning school broadcast show, bid adieu to SHS, and Mrs. Donoghue, previously an Algebra and Engineering teacher, stepped up to the plate.

Thinking back on last year’s article on the nature of Wave TV, the program/class was dynamically fast-paced, with sky-high expectations and informative and entertaining content. As a result, at the 2016 SIPA (Southern Interscholastic Press Association) convention, I saw Wave TV win nearly EVERY Broadcast award, first-hand. So now my question is: has Wave TV changed? And if so, for better, or for worse?

Mrs. Donoghue was my Algebra teacher my freshman year. I had her first period, and she was like a second alarm clock. Never would I use the words “shy”, “timid”, or “stale” to describe Mrs. Donoghue. I have never personally felt the eruption of euphoria that supposedly accompanies the complete understanding of the algebraic dimension, even though math comes relatively easy to me. I don’t feel the magic. And yet, with Donoghue as my teacher, I felt strangely entertained by the daily lessons. Very few people have a talent for making the uninteresting interesting, much less with the most pitifully, yet understandably despised, school subject.

Seriously, I doubt even the majority of the engineers-in-training are very fond of math (what they’re fond of is the high pay-grade and the possibility of inventing the flying car).

But Donoghue, thank the good Lord, has been blessed with this gem of a talent.

During Chambers’ tenure, he was stringent and had high expectations, but at the same time, he successfully fostered a sense of family within Wave TV. All signs would point to this being the magic formula for broadcast success, because clearly, Wave TV was a star-studded mecca of media ambition.

And thus far, Wave TV doesn’t seem that different. The shows may be weekly now, instead of daily, but the segment quality and information delivery of the recent past still sails on.

“The atmosphere is a friendly one, an accepting one…so far [the class] has been stressful, but I have developed great friendships with all of my crew members. We are not afraid to have a good time,” said Dalton Grace Wiggins, junior and Level 1 student in the Wave TV/Media Technology class.

My summarizing conclusion on the Wave TV clockwork of last year was that it was more or less its strong parallels to the American workplace of today that attributed to its success.

I have a new revision.

The ongoing success of Wave TV lies in direct correlation to its mood. This mood is one of familiarity and closeness, an unbreakable family. Great minds think alike, and close minds think together. Yes, I sound like the intensely-Jesus-loving head counselor at a bible camp, but the leadership change from Chambers to Donoghue hasn’t disrupted the interconnectedness of the Wave TV life. If anything, it’s harnessed it. Wave TV is still a mini industry unto itself, but in its foundation is heart, and it’s always been there, and always will.

Welcome to the family, Donoghue.