Beyonce’s unborn revolution

Anabelle Baxter

More stories from Anabelle Baxter

labeled for reuse

labeled for reuse

A month and a half has elapsed since the Super Bowl 50, Chris Martin’s questionable rainbow-hippie pants, and Beyonce’s bold political performance. Channeling the proactive (to say the least) energies of Malcolm X and the Black Panther Party, Beyonce chronicled the tense history of African Americans, and subliminally called for the sort of revolutionary activity that has proved to be divisive, implosive, empowering, and above all controversial. I mean no disrespect to Beyonce, but I can’t help but feel that she took a very incorrect approach to addressing the race-relations issue. And this is more than just an opinion, the evidence is sitting right in front of our reality-sensitive eyes. The evidence, dear readers, is the lack thereof.

The most immediate question pertaining to Beyonce’s performance is, “Why is she doing this?” I am fully aware that racial discrimination is just as tangible today as it was in the 60s (only not as open), but I fail to detect any hardships associated with bearing a minority status afflicting Beyonce herself, whose net worth rounds out to about $450 million, has won a total of 181 combined music, television and video awards thus far, and is undoubtedly one of the most iconic performers of all time. That’s only a brief synopsis of her accomplishments, and it’s proof enough that Beyonce at this point is a sort of stranger to racial discrimination. I would say that her performance was accordingly orchestrated in honor of her fellow African Americans as opposed to herself, as a disbeliever in the existence of pure altruism, and as a realist, I must point out that Beyonce is just as unfamiliar with politics as she is with racial discrimination. That is to say, her political identity is completely nonexistent, or has been until now. So, why is Beyonce just now jumping onto the #blacklivesmatter bandwagon? Logic indicates that the Queen Bey is working some sort of angle; a stunt like this is usually connected to one. I hypothesize that this is her sloppy attempt at casting the alternate dimension of celebrity-topia in a humanitarian light by way of political correctness, so as to reassure us commoners that “we stand together,” a meaningless remedy that has the profound effect of a band-aid, and only serves to further illuminate Hollywood ignorance.

And what have we seen as a result of Beyonce’s revolutionary attitude? Why, nothing at all. Where is her grand “formation”? It’s only a grain of sand in the desert of unbirthed ideas. One can only think it will remain that way, at least, as long as it embodies the same controversially strong nature of her proclaimed role models. We have learned that extremity in politics is more destructive than constructive. History is evidence of that. Disorganized uprisings have a record for being ineffective, and I think this lesson indirectly contributes to the non-existent status of Beyonce’s formation. Furthermore, her performance highlighted the political divisions of the nation, squandering the sort of unity that is imperative for solving the sort of wide-scale problem like African American oppression (depending on whether or not it exists, and to which degree it exists). It’s a soup of opinions that cannot be addressed in such a boldly haywire manner as Beyonce exemplified.

Let’s be diplomatic, shall we?