Build it over buy it

Consumerism, online shopping, 2-day shipping, and constant deals are all across our society. While all of these things are great and very beneficial in everyday life, there is a different method that you may find cheaper, more fun, and easier to accommodate to your needs.

In the 21st century if a person needs anything, from toilet paper to an iPad, they can either go to the internet or a local Walmart to get it. This is the “buy it” method on a very basic level.

There is, however, an opposite perspective. Instead of the “buy it” idea, some practice the “build it” method.

The “build it” over “buy it” method has been around for a while in families all over. The “build it” idea allows people to pour thought into what they are creating. It allows for people to know exactly what they are getting because they are the creators of it.

Have you ever developed an idea for something like a shelf, or a desk, or even something as small as a chair for your office? In the time that our culture thrives in, I believe that we allow our creativity to be hindered by purchasing every little product we want.
Instead of looking at it on a store shelf, grabbing it, and going home, building something instead of buying it allows you to feel not only a sense of accomplishment, but also makes for a cheaper way of getting exactly what you want.

People struggle with this idea of being content with the things they own. It is a natural response to constantly look for improvement.

For example; if someone has a super nice desk from Ikea and it suits all their needs, but two months after that purchase a new one comes out, they will want the new one more because in their minds it would suit them even better. Whether that person decides to purchase it or not, obviously that person wants the new desk more.

Now taking that exact situation another person wants a desk, but instead of using the “buy it” method this person applies the “build it” method.

They go through the process: they draw out a sketch, buy the wood (if they do not already have wood), and then assemble the desk. Not only does that person get exactly what they want, but they also get it cheaper!

The price of a two-by-eight sheet of plywood is roughly 30-35 dollars off the shelf. That amount of wood can allow for a lot of breathing room when designing an item such as a desk. Buying a desk in a store off the shelf can range from 50-500 dollars.

Say a college student is on a tight budget and he/she settles for a 75 dollar desk. First off, that is 40-45 dollars more than what you would pay for if you just built it yourself. Secondly, that amount of money is poured into something that you had to settle for, versus the capability of getting exactly what you want with some cash left over when using the “build it” method.

It is important to acknowledge the obvious: this can not be applied to everything. However, challenge your mind to venture out. See what creativity you can break loose.

Remember that as humans our brains are constantly developing solutions and creative ways of problem solving. Next time you are wanting a new desk, chair, shelf, bench, or mailbox, instead of settling for a simple buy, unleash your idea and see what it brings you back.