Women in the draft

Licensed for individual reuse

Each year, every eligible male from the ages 18 to 25, gets signed up for the military draft.

The draft is a system put in place by our government requiring every male from 18 to 25 to sign their name with an assigned number so that in the event of a war that our military forces can’t handle with their numbers, they can draft a series of numbers/names of these eligible males to fight in the war.

Although there hasn’t been a call for the draft since 1974, the possibility of it happening becomes more and more likely as tensions with other nations such as Russia and Syria continue to be unstable.

Due to this increasing probability, a lot of people are suggesting that women should also be signed up for the draft.

Women fought to be able to join the military, to have equal rights and treatment, and to be given a spot on the front lines, something that was once forbidden. The military took away all gender roles and just set physical standards that had to be met for certain positions in the military.

There are two ways to look at this. You could think that women should be required, just like men, to join the military draft since women want equal rights. If we don’t have enough military personnel, everyone should be helping the fight. Not just the males.

Or, you could say that women should not be required because although women are allowed on the front lines, there is a high physically standard that these women must meet, a physical standard that is not as common in females as it is in males. You could argue the point by saying this is not a matter of equality but a matter of national security.

With tensions getting worse and worse with other countries, the debate continues to grow.

On one hand, I could agree that women should be a part of the draft. Women are just as capable as men. Women have fought for their rights through the years, just the same as they fought to fight to get on the front lines. If we are in a situation so dire that the draft has to be called into place, then I think everyone should be helping in someway. If women want equal rights then they should be in the draft too.

It’s not fair to males if we don’t require women to be put into the draft too. The only way men get out of the draft is if their spouse is pregnant, they are physically unable to fight, or if they are head of the household and their family could not find another source of income.

On the other hand I could agree that women shouldn’t be put into the draft. Yes, women are just as capable as men, but the physical standard for the front lines in very hard to reach even for stronger men. Most men can be brought to that point with minimal training, if any at all, whereas with women it takes longer and most are not already at that point. It would take more time, precious time since we would be in a dire situation if the draft was in place, that could be used in fighting to end the hypothetical war.

No matter what side you are on, be prepared to vote one way or the other in the next few year because the debate over this issue is becoming more and more relevant.