Chilly demise

Dontrell Whetsell

Dontrell Whetsell

For a while, it seemed like SC was going to skip winter this year and go straight from Fall to Spring. This was seen as a good thing by many people around the state and it even caused the plants to go into bloom earlier than usual, which was a recipe for disaster.

The state was then suddenly hit by a late freeze that was catastrophic for most of the plants around the state. The plants affected by this late freeze are plants like peaches, blueberries, strawberries, and even the azaleas our town is known for.

“It is really depressing seeing all the dead flowers around town,” said Kordell Whetsell, sophomore.

This freeze led to the death of 85% of the peaches in SC. This is the worst thing to happen to the peach crops since the late freeze of 2007 that killed nearly every peach in the state.

Walking around places like Azalea park, town square, or even someone’s yard it is almost impossible to not notice the dead azaleas sitting at the base of their bush. These poor flowers have been the victim of the late freeze. There also won’t be many azaleas for the Flowertown festival because most of them have died.

There is more than just the presentation that will be affected by this loss of the peaches. SC is the second largest producers of peaches in the US, behind California. This freeze could even lead to the loss of up to 1500 jobs statewide, and a loss of 90 million dollars.

This will also limit the number of fresh peaches available in SC. To supply the demand the state will have to get peaches from external sources. These peaches will be provided by places like Georgia and California.

This late freeze affected more than just SC and had an extensive effect on blueberries in GA. Farmers report that 80% of the blueberries in GA died during the freeze. Blueberries make up the majority of agricultural production in GA. Even though GA is called the Peach State, blueberries have been the most lucrative crop since 2005.