Math Man on the move

Soon 2000 students will be taking their End of Course exams. These state-mandated tests will count as 20% of the student’s final grade. Most students are used to the End of Course (EOC) exams, but the ninth graders are completely new and have no idea how to prepare themselves nor what to expect.

The math team has created a plan to help ninth grade students prepare for the EOC exam. It regards a quirky little man named Math Man. Every day the students have two problems that Math Man has encountered. These problems are built to help a student memorize a wide skill to help them on the EOC.

Math Man has his very own (fictitious) life and takes part in many different interesting activities that students love to discuss and in turn learn about the problem. The quirkiness of the character can help students remember the information they learned in that mini-lesson.

“I would like to think that Math Man interests the students. It’s fun to see students really find interest in what Math Man is doing in the warm up problems each day. They are also very interested in Math Man’s personal life. I think it helps that I also love to play up Math Man in his everyday life,” said Ms. Jacobs, Algebra 1 teacher.

Many students think that the Math Man curriculum is helping them prepare for the EOC because the way the problems are solved can apply to many different equations and help reduce the amount of time spent studying for one topic. This is especially helpful when most students have multiple classes with EOC exams.

Math Man encourages students to pay attention to the teachers reviews by having them involve themselves in deep conversations about his equations.

“Me and my friends in math class will discuss what wild thing Math Man is doing that day. We mostly mope about how his life as a fictional character has way more fun than ours while doing math, too,” said Hailey Lippy, freshman.

When students – especially new students – have to study for many different courses within the span of a few weeks it stresses them out which in turn reduces the amount of information remembered on the test.

“I think Math Man adds interest to the sometimes daunting task of studying for an exam. Math Man was meant to spark interest and catch the attention of students to motivate them to work hard each day in preparing for the EOC,” said Ms. Jacobs.

Every day for a few minutes students will practice and therefore successfully recall the information on the test because when they ‘studied’ they were not in a stressful environment.

“Most of us love Math Man. We like to play a long and have a fun time watching students compete for ‘Math Man Awards’ and noticing Math Man in warm ups. Its for sure is a fun way to promote learning and make lasting impacts. I have students from last year who remember Math Man and still ask to wear the red cape when it’s that time of the year again,” said Ms. Jacobs.

Some students may find Math Man childish, but some students will find it motivating

“I think Math Man helps me remember how to solve the equation because I remember what weird thing he was doing in that problem and then I remember how to solve the equation given to me,” said Lippy.

Math Man was created to help students, but some teachers have taken to to the next level by surrounding the students with Math Man. It adds fun to the learning environment

“I even have a life size cutout of Math Man on my wall. So even though some may see it as extra and unnecessary, I believe that in the long run, students will remember reviewing for their EOC,” said Ms. Jacobs.