Mock Trial

Junior Cassidy Etue debates aspects of the case with her fellow Mock Trial teammates.

Holland McClary

Holland McClary

Mock Trial is made up of volunteers who demonstrate litigation skills regarding a case they are given by going through the imitation of a real trial. Mock Trial lasts for about half of a school year and began in early September. Summerville’s Mock Trial team consists of a group of students who are interested in how a courtroom and the procedures within work.

Mr. Lewis, who teaches a variety of history classes, is in charge of Mock Trial. He gives the students an assigned case that they all have to work with, debate on within the group. Each year the cases differ between civil and criminal cases.

“I’ve been doing Mock Trial for 13 years. You have to be invited to join. I look for people who go out of their way to get work done, are good at time management, organized, and can take time out of their day to go to meetings and practices. We have a competition coming up very soon” shared Lewis.

The students on the Mock Trial team were presented with a case and set of rules to follow. The case materials are a lawsuit, witness testimonies, and evidence. Each member of Mock Trial is either an attorney, a witness, or both.

“The whole concept of Mock Trial is that you are either an attorney or a witness in a case, so it teaches you not only about our country’s legal system, but also how to argue persuasively” Sammy Young, junior, said.

The team has to use the case materials provided to form a strong argument for both the plaintiff and defense. Both sides of the case must be solid because each side will have to compete against opposing sides from other schools.

The case they’re taking to competition this year is a civil case involving the suing of a hospital, with the person suing being the plaintiff and the hospital being the defense.

The typical Mock Trial team is made up of 12 members: three attorneys and three witnesses for each side and extra members to serve as bailiffs, scribes, and court artists. Only having 8 members is one challenge facing the SHS Mock Trial team this year.

“Mock Trial is a pretty small club; there are eight of us, and it’s unique in that the members really do all the work, so you have to be a hard worker and be good at time managing your time” explained Young.

The eight students participating in Mock Trial this school year are Anabelle Baxter, Gracie Fulcher, Jackson Castagno, Alyssa Davenport, Samantha Young, Sydney Pauley, Cassidy Etue, and Hanna Perala, all juniors. The club practices on Tuesdays during ILT and Fridays after school. They compete for regionals on Feb. 25, 2017 in Georgetown and, if they win, will move on to a state competition.

“I joined Mock Trial because I knew it would be a great opportunity to see how the court system works. I would recommend this to people who are interested in becoming a lawyer and even those who enjoy acting a lot. It’s a really fun time, and because it’s a smaller club, we’ve all become good friends” stated Young.