Getting to know Young Life

Holland McClary and Caroline Savage

Young Life has a branch at Summerville High School that is also combined with Ashley Ridge High School. Even though these two schools are rivals, they put it all behind them when they come together for Young Life. With this happening, students form a close family of friends that gets bigger every week.

Young Life is one of the largest Christian ministries for high school and middle school students in the world. It is in every state in the US and 99 countries. The program is about fun, relationships, and figuring out what life is all about.

Young Life was started in 1941 in Dallas, Texas by Jim Rayburn. It began to spread to North Carolina when an unknown girl from Florida went to summer camp in Colorado with one of her friends, where it originated. She fell in love with the idea of the program. When the girl went back to her family in Florida she told her parents about the program and how she wanted more people to know about it. Her father called the head of the program and offered them 2,200 acres of land in North Carolina for the price of $1 if they promised to build a Young Life camp there, and thus, Windy Gap was created.

Sarah and Cameron Stewart are the leaders of the enriching program who, within the last year, brought Young Life to our district schools.

The program is very different from other religious groups since it is “for everyone in the whole school,” claims Cameron Stewart.

Stewart goes on to state that students “would have to come check it out for themselves what is fun about it,” however, Stewart points out that he “does not want to compare Young Life to other ministries.”

This Christian based organization runs through high schools, colleges, middle schools, and other areas, but it is also for anyone who wants to get the most out of life. No matter who someone socializes with, what one’s abilities and interests are, or if one is just curious about the program, Young Life is welcome to have all members!

“To me, Young Life means reaching out to new friends and getting closer with old friends and growing closer to God together as one big group” said Lindsey Leschack, a member of the program and a freshman at Ashley Ridge High School.

“It has been a life changing experience for me. It helps me make connections with God as well as other students from both Ashley Ridge and Summerville,” replied Laney Leschack, an 11th grade student from Ashley Ridge, when asked about what Young Life meant to her.
There is no cost in joining the club, the only thing required is attendance. Those joining don’t have to be familiar with any religious standards or values.

“I don’t like to wake up early on Sundays and go to church, and Young Life is a really fun way to do the same thing,” said Chloe Hill, a freshman at Ashley Ridge High School.

There’s a Bible study on Thursday nights where they talk about the stories of Jesus and how those can be applied to the life of a high school student today.

Campaigners is on Thursdays in Summerville at 7:30.

They also have a club where members sing, dance, and have fun. Club is held Monday nights at 7:45 at the St. Paul’s Youth room.

Young Life is a very fun and religiously educational organization that is enjoyable for all age groups.

https://www.younglife.org/GetInvolved/Pages/default.aspx