Christmas Commandos

Labeled for reuse

Labeled for reuse

A non-profit, all-volunteer organization has existed in our region since 1998, known as Christmas Commandos. This amazing effort consists of people wishing to bring the Christmas spirit to those in need. Their mission is to “bring a full Christmas to children who are facing their first Christmas after a parent has recently passed away.”

This organization began in Alabama as act of kindness from two coworkers who wanted to help a friend whose wife had passed away from cancer right before Christmas. He was left with no money to get his children presents after the medical expenses. The two co-workers, Stacy Dalton Hamburger and Bob Eaton, bought presents for their friend’s four kids and waited until midnight on Christmas Eve to hang them from a tree in their front yard. After that “one time thing,” they continued the generous, kind act through the following years.

It wasn’t long before Hamburger and Eaton had a full-blown operation. All over the country volunteers gather and wrap presents, preparing for Christmas Eve, when they will go out and hang the presents in trees before disappearing into the darkness leaving behind no card or contact information, but simply a “wish for a more joyful day!”

Noah Tidwell, 10, was “excited” when he was visited by the Christmas Commandos this year. “My favorite toy that they brought me was a remote control jeep.” Tidwell explained. Noah was visited by Christmas Commandos this year because his mother passed away in April. Not only did the Commandos bring gifts for Noah, they also brought presents for “Sarah, Gracie and Hayden.” Noah named his new siblings. “They even brought gifts for the parents and dogs!”

“It’s not just about the toys” Kristi Fulcher, Tidwell’s guardian, explained. “The toys will one day be outgrown, but the memory that someone cared will last a lifetime.”

Throughout the season, the non-profit group makes efforts to raise money and receive donated gifts through toy drives and fundraisers, all going towards their effort to brighten someone’s holiday.

Christmas Commandos strives to make an incredible memory and an even more incredible difference.