ILT: 5th period vs 6th period

ILT: where 3000 students are all fed in one lunch period.

Patrick Baird

While many schools in the district have Individual Learning Time (ILT) during 5th period, Summerville’s ILT takes place during 6th period. Many students and faculty are still adjusting to having one lunch rather than having three different lunches like they did in the previous years.

Students are still getting used to these new changes. While the change is convenient for some students, others and still believe we should go back to having 3 separate lunches.

Taryn Varner, junior, still leans towards last year’s system. “I feel like it is too crowded and we should switch it up like it was last year, how we had three periods for one lunch, 4th, 5th and 6th” states Varner.

Graham McCurry, sophomore, says, “I’m glad we have ILT because I have time to finish work that I didn’t have time for the night before. If I’m ever absent anytime that week, I can catch back up on those classes.”

Madeline Lottman, freshman, states, “ I like ILT because we get to hang out with our friends and it gives us time to catch up on our work.

De’Andre McClellan, senior, says “I think they should bring back having lunch during 4th, 5th and 6th period. I would rather have lunch 5th period because it’s a more convenient time.”

Although it would seem to make more sense to have ILT take place during 5th period for a noon lunch, seniors must be enrolled in five classes, thus causing them to have to stay at school for another hour. Because seniors view early out as a privilege, this privilege would be seemingly stripped from them as they would have to stay at SHS for an hour longer because of 5th period ILT.

What do you think about ILT?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“The idea for ILT was for seniors that have early out and have jobs to be able to leave during that time or if they want to stay or need to stay they can. The schools that have ILT 5th period the seniors have to stay, they don’t have the option to leave,” state’s Coach Giet.

“I love that ILT is sixth period from a scheduling standpoint, it makes it nice for my seniors who have early out to get there five classes in, or tutor if needed. The benefits of ILT is that all teachers are available to students and that’s an important aspect to it” says Mrs. Tracy.

Not only does ILT help students catch up on school work and gives them time to meet with their clubs, but it helps our student-athletes as well.

Coach McCurry states that he likes “the way ILT is set up because all the students are eating lunch at the same time and no teacher has to worry about where students are suppose to be. I wouldn’t change a thing because it gives the students time to come and lift weights and get there work done. I also think it’s a lot easier to have ILT 6th period than 5th period.”

ILT 6th period seems to be more convenient for most teachers and students. The teachers and staff are able to work with the students more to make sure no one is failing or not meeting their potential. Students have an opportunity to get one on one time with teachers and get help with a subject they are having a difficulties in.

Overall, ILT has been working well for SHS. Summerville’s discipline problems are down 66% from last year, and there are more students passing all of their classes with fewer students failing. Student grades are better than they have been before. SHS, it looks like ILT is here to stay.